(Last Updated: July 1, 2013)
PROTECTING PERSONAL INFORMATION
The Innovation Institute’s website, www.theinnovationinstitute.org, is directed to parents and/or guardians of its participant/attendees. In keeping with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) ‒ the law that protects participant/attendee’s online privacy and commonsense, The Innovation Institute limits the collection of personal information from minors.
- The Innovation Institute screens users who wish to provide personal information in order to prevent users under the age of thirteen from providing such information.
- If The Innovation Institute becomes aware that The Innovation Institute has inadvertently received personally identifying information from a user under the age of thirteen, The Innovation Institute will delete such information from its records.
B. INTERNET PROTECTION
The Innovation Institute makes every reasonable effort to prevent participant/attendees from being exposed to inappropriate website content.
- The Innovation Institute installs Internet filtering software on its computers. No software is 100 percent perfect, and some inappropriate content may inadvertently be accessed.
- The Innovation Institute takes reasonable precautions to guard against inappropriate material from being viewed at The Innovation Institute. If inappropriate content is viewed The Innovation Institute instructor will follow standard protocol.
- Participant(s)/attendee(s) found in violation of its “common sense” Internet policy may be removed from The Innovation Institute’s programs without receiving a refund.
C. THE INNOVATION INSTITUTE DOES NOT SHARE PARENT(S)/GUARDIAN(S) INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES
- The Innovation Institute does NOT share email addresses or any other personal information with third parties interested in contacting parent(s)/guardian(s) or collecting information about parent(s)/guardian(s).
- The Innovation Institute do not sell, rent, give or trade personal information The Innovation Institute collects from online, phone or paper registrations and or requests for information.
D. HOW DOES THE INNOVATION INSTITUTE STORE PARENT(S)/GUARDIAN(S) INFORMATION
- The Innovation Institute store parent(s)/guardian(s) personal information in secure operating environments unavailable to the public. Parent’s(s’)/guardian’s(s’) personal information is accessible only by parent(s)/guardian(s) and select company employees.
- Employees are bound by duties of confidentiality and have access to select databases, which are further protected by The Innovation Institute and password requirements.
- To update or change parent(s)/guardian(s) account information, call 617 340-9907 or email email@example.com
- Should The Innovation Institute use an electronic/online account Login and Password system for parent(s)/guardian(s), he/she/they will be responsible for keeping parent(s)/guardian(s) password confidential. Parent(s)/guardian(s) agrees that parent(s)/guardian(s) are responsible for any and all communication, transactions and use of services associated with and made using parent(s)/guardian(s) password. This includes any fees, charges or other obligations that may result from such use. Parent(s)/guardian(s) are responsible for changing parent’s(s’)/guardian’s(s’) password if parent(s)/guardian(s) believe parent(s)/guardian(s) password has been stolen or otherwise compromised. Parent(s)/guardian(s) may not loan or assign parent(s)/guardian(s) password or transfer rights under this agreement without prior written consent. Any attempted password assignment or transfer without such consent will be void.
E. HOW DOES THE INNOVATION INSTITUTE USE PARENT(S)/GUARDIAN(S) INFORMATION
- The Innovation Institute provides for a user-guided registration process in order to expedite parent(s)/guardian(s) transactions on its site (through the use of pre-filled forms) and to provide parent(s)/guardian(s) with more efficient service.
- The Innovation Institute may elect to contact parent(s)/guardian(s) regarding the status of parent(s)/guardian(s) transactions on The Innovation Institute website or to inform parent(s)/guardian(s) of The Innovation Institute’s website updates.
F. OTHER INFORMATION THE INNOVATION INSTITUTE GATHERS
- When parent(s)/guardian(s) request information or register for The Innovation Institute’s programs, The Innovation Institute asks for certain basic information: name, mailing address, email address and phone number.
- The Innovation Institute uses Square Space, Jotform, and Google Analytics to collect and analyze information about traffic to and from The Innovation Institute website.
G. SECURITY OF CREDIT CARD TRANSACTIONS AND INFORMATION
- If parent(s)/guardian(s) choose to pay by credit card, parent(s)/guardian(s) will do so through Stripe.
- For parent(s)/guardian(s) security, parent(s)/guardian(s) credit card number is not stored in its system. Stripe provides an extra level of security for parent(s)/guardian(s) payments. Only the last four digits of parent(s)/guardian(s) credit card are available to be view by The Innovation Institute.
- Stripe follows leading industry standards to provide secure data-encryption technologies to ensure payment security. The Innovation Institute uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology to safeguard and protect parent(s)/guardian(s) personal information and transactions over the Internet.
- All credit card numbers processed via Stripe are encrypted on disk with AES-256. Decryption keys are stored on separate machines. None of Stripe's internal servers and daemons is able to obtain plaintext card numbers; instead, they can just request that cards be sent to a service provider on a static whitelist.
- Stripe's infrastructure for storing, decrypting, and transmitting card numbers runs in a separate datacenter, and doesn't share any credentials with Stripe's primary services (API, website, etc.). For more information, please see www.stripe.com.
Social Networking and Communication on External Sites
The Innovation Institute uses social networking sites (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc.). The Innovation Institute blogs positively and respects the rights of its participant/attendees to use The Innovation Institute as a medium for self-expression. The Innovation Institute provides opportunities for social networking for staff and the public on such sites. These sites are not affiliated with The Innovation Institute and offer their own individual social-networking services. It is important to note that:
- The Innovation Institute does not allow the use of its company logo or those of its corporate partners or community partners on any personal Innovation Institute websites, social networking group, or blog without written permission by The Innovation Institute or its corporate or community partners.
Regarding interaction with other users:
- Parent(s)/guardian(s) agree that The Innovation Institute does not in any way screen members or review or police: (i)statements made by Members in their Member Submissions or the Member Submissions in general; or (ii) statements made by Users or any information a User may provide via the Site or Services.
- Parent(s)/guardian(s) agree that parent(s)/guardian(s) participant/attendee(s) are solely responsible for, and will exercise caution, discretion, common sense and judgment in using the various Sites and Services and disclosing personal information to other Members or Users. On behalf of parent(s)/guardian(s) participant/attendee(s), parent(s)/guardian(s) agree that they will take reasonable precautions in all interactions with other Members, particularly if they decide to meet a Member offline or in person.
- On behalf of parent’s(s’)/guardian’s(s’) participant/attendee(s), parent(s)/guardian(s) agree that they will not harass, threaten, intimidate, bully, stalk or invade the privacy of any individual in connection with parent(s)/guardian(s) use of the social networking sites with which The Innovation Institute is affiliated and their services, whether or not an individual is an The Innovation Institute Member; and parent(s)/guardian(s) further agrees to discourage such activities or not to encourage others to engage in any such activities.
STAFF BACKGROUND CHECKS
The Innovation Institute requires criminal background checks for its employees and regular volunteers through CORI and also checks SORB as an additional precaution. It does not run criminal background checks on visiting science or engineering specialists. It does take additional safety and security precautions when visiting science or engineering specialists are at The Innovation Institute facilities. Such individuals are paired with The Innovation Institute’s staff, and these individuals are not left with participant(s)/attendee(s) unless a staff member is present. The Innovation Institute does not undertake criminal background checks of attendees at open houses or end-of-term celebrations.
Under no circumstances are staff members permitted to give personal contact information to students for social networking sites, personal websites or email/instant messaging. The Innovation Institute office must coordinate any and all communication between The Innovation Institute’s participant(s)/attendee(s) and their instructors outside of the program. Should parent(s)/guardian(s) have any questions regarding this policy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For the safety of The Innovation Institute’s participant/attendee and to protect the privacy of The Innovation Institute’s staff, The Innovation Institute has implemented a policy to govern interactions outside of The Innovation Institute’s programs. Staff may communicate publicly via The Innovation Institute Facebook Group. The Innovation Institute’s staff is not permitted to communicate privately with, give out personal contact information to, or become social-media friends with participant(s)/attendee(s).
- Participants may not give their personal contact information to a staff member. To correspond with instructors after the session has ended, the participant’s(s’)/attendee’s(s’) parent(s)/guardian(s) must contact The Innovation Institute’s Executive Director at 617 340-9907 to grant permission for the participant/attendee to contact the staff member. The executive director will then contact the staff member on behalf of the participant/attendee.
- On behalf of participant/attendee, parent(s)/guardian(s) agree they will not give their social-networking information to any of The Innovation Institute’s staff members.
COPYRIGHT & INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY POLICY – NO UNAUTHORIZED USE
Parent(s)/guardian(s) agree that parent(s)/guardian(s) and parent’s(s’)/guardian’s(s’) participant/attendees/attendees will not use the social networking sites to offer, display, distribute, transmit, route, provide connections to or store any material that infringes copyrighted works, trademarks or service marks or otherwise violates or promotes the violation of the intellectual property rights of any third party.
DISCLAIMER: BY USING THE SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES OR SUBMITTING A SUBMISSION PARENT(S)/GUARDIAN(S) AGREE THAT THE INNOVATION INSTITUTE IS NOT RESPONSIBLE, AND WILL IN NO EVENT BE HELD LIABLE, FOR ANY: (A) LOST, ILLEGIBLE, MISDIRECTED, DAMAGED OR INCOMPLETE SUBMISSIONS; (B) COMPUTER OR NETWORK MALFUNCTION OR ERROR; (C) COMMUNICATION DISRUPTION OR OTHER DISRUPTIONS RELATED TO INTERNET TRAFFIC, A VIRUS, BUG, OR WORM OR NON-AUTHORIZED INTERVENTION; OR (D) DAMAGE CAUSED BY A COMPUTER VIRUS OR OTHERWISE FROM YOUR ACCESS TO THE SITE OR SERVICES. THE SITE, SERVICES, THE INNOVATION INSTITUTE CONTENT AND MEMBER SUBMISSIONS ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITH NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. THE INNOVATION INSTITUTE AND ITS SUPPLIERS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE SITE, SERVICES, THE INNOVATION INSTITUTE. CONTENT AND SUBMISSIONS, WHETHER THE PROVISION OF SERVICES OR PARENT(S)/GUARDIAN(S) SUBMISSION OF A SUBMISSION WILL PRODUCE ANY LEVEL OF PROFIT OR BUSINESS FOR PARENT(S)/GUARDIAN(S) OR LEAD TO ECONOMIC BENEFIT, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF QUALITY, AVAILABILITY, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN ADDITION, THE INNOVATION INSTITUTE MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY THAT THE SITE OR SERVICES WILL BE ERROR FREE OR THAT ANY ERRORS WILL BE CORRECTED. SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES. ACCORDINGLY, SOME OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO PARENT(S)/GUARDIAN(S).
PHOTO AND MEDIA RELEASE
Parent(s)/guardian(s) agree that all images, testimonials, survey responses, photos, video and audio taken at or in connection with The Innovation Institute are the sole and exclusive property of The Innovation Institute.
- As a condition of enrollment, The Innovation Institute request that parent(s)/guardian(s) sign a written statement to indicate that he/she/they do NOT agree or authorize that photos taken of parent’s(s’)/guardian’s(s’) participant/attendees/attendees can be used for communications, educational or marketing print materials and online media. The Innovation Institute respects the rights to media privacy of all participant/attendees and their families.
- Parent(s)/guardian(s) that authorize the use of photos of his/her/their participant/attendee/attendees agree that said content may be used by The Innovation Institute for communications, educational or marketing print materials and online media.
- Parent(s)/guardian(s) agree that The Innovation Institute, its owners, agents, partners, facility providers, and employees are not held liable for damages and injuries associated with The Innovation Institute publishing, including any and all claims based on negligence.
- Parent(s)/guardian(s) agree that The Innovation Institute and The Innovation Institute’s programs, promotional materials and other print and online media may use all projects and work created by participant/attendees/attendees while at The Innovation Institute for The Innovation Institute’s program purposes. These projects may be shared and used by corporate partners, the media, or other organizations that work with The Innovation Institute. Parent(s)/guardian(s) agree that The Innovation Institute Corporation, its owners, agents, partners, facility providers and employees will not be held liable for damages and injuries associated with said publishing, including any and all claims based on negligence.